What is Faith?

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. ~ Hebrews 11:1

Friday, August 27, 2010

Politics Schmolitics

Today, I am going to put my political two cents in. Again. If you have been following my blog regularly you will know that when I get back to Portland, I have no home to return to. that got me to thinking about transitional housing for those who are not drug addicts or alcoholics. So far, we have found none.

Although limited, there is space available if you are single with a child, pregnant with a child, even married with a child. There is space if you have a drug addiction, if you are an alcoholic, or if you are mentally ill.

If you have been beaten to a pulp by a loved one you can not only get into safe housing but you can be given your own apartment paid for, at least for the first 90 days.

Now, here's the rub. If you are a woman who has been told by her roommate that she no longer wants a roommate, as in my case, or if you are a woman who was out of work for more than two years because of a work injury, also as in my case, or if you are a woman who is just down on your luck, then it seems you are out of luck because other than a first come first serve basis dorm of beds, there is nothing out there for you.

I can tell you that we have met many, many homeless men and women who do not want to be in the streets, but due to unforeseen circumstances they are. They also feel a huge sense of hopelessness for they are low on the totem pole as to who is a priority in who receives help.

So what do we do about it? Other than opening my big mouth and protesting the inequality of the system, I haven't a clue. Any ideas?

No comments: