What is Faith?

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. ~ Hebrews 11:1

Monday, April 19, 2010

So long, Farewell, Aufwiedersehn, Adieu







My family and I have our occassional spats as all families do, yet we are very close and get together as often as possible. This last weekend however, was an emotional roller coaster for us all. This is the first time in YEARS that we have been apart for more than a few weeks. Even though I am not moving away nor am I going to be gone forever, we shed a few tears.

In addition, it is the birthdays of four of the six females I love dearly. The youngest granddaughter, Belles is 3 today and is just beginning to understand birthdays. I don't think she will miss my presence, but I will miss hers.

Lexi will be 13 in two days and very much the beautiful young lady. She is tall, stunning and beautiful in every way shape and form. She will miss my presence and I very much wanted to be part of this very special coming of age birthday rite. She understood my being away and is very excited for the outcome of this walk, so much so that she will be joining me for the final days.

Shyla will be 9 and although she is the daughter of my daughter-in-law and she does not share my blood, I think that for the first time in our 4 years of being part of each others lives, she is finally understanding that blood has nothing to do with how much I love her.

My daughter, who will be 36 soon, knows how much I love her and although we have had our share of spats over the many years of her existence, we never stay angry long and I am very proud to have her as a daughter, warts and all. (Just kidding. She is a beautiful young lady and has no warts, just a few scattered freckles). Although we will be apart for her birthday, she will be in my thoughts on her very special day as will they all.

So what has this to do with my walk. Well...nothing really, except that for the last few months I have been so busy preparing for this, that I wasn;t able to spend as much time with them as I would have liked. My concentration was on this walk. Here it is day one of this already adventurous journey, and I find myself concentrating more on missing my family then where my feet are taking me.

Our adventure began with a 27 hour trip to get to Seattle when it normally takes 3. The van we are traveling in broke down in Olympia. I don;t think it is coincidence however that we broke down in front of a mechanic. Had we left on time on Sunday and not 4 hours ater, we may have broken down in the middle of a country not familiar to us with no means of transportation. God had other plans in mind however, and several hours and $421 later, we were on the road.

It just goes to show that whether my mind is on what it should be, or whether or not this van brakes down, even whether or not we have food to eat, everything is in His hands. He will take care of us even if it is not in the way He had planned.

Good night all.






No comments: