What is Faith?

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. ~ Hebrews 11:1

Monday, April 26, 2010

Imperfect Me

I went online today, looking for a passage from the Bible, in order to do a blog on imperfect people. I could not for the life of me find that passage. I searched and came up with others similar to the one I was looking for, but not THE one. Somewhere in the back of my head I kept hearing this little voice saying, 'go out to the van and get your Bible. You'll be able to turn right to it.'

I was being a bit lazy, so I ignored that voice. I felt I was justified since I walk enough every day. After 30 minutes of searching to no avail, I gave up and went to the van. I returned with Bible in hand a bit damper than I would have been had I acted at the first urgings of the voice, and sure enough, I opened right to what I was looking for.

Luke 3:23-28. The 'Imperfect' lineage of Christ. Judah fathered Perez with his daughter-in-law Tamar, thinking she was a prostitute. Salmon married Rahab, a former prostitute in Jericho. David had an adulterous affair with Uriah's wife, Bathsheba and through that infidelity fathered Solomon. So Jesus' own family tree is filled with people known for their mistakes.

I have been somewhat dissatisfied, that this walk is not going as smoothly as I had planned. I
have been disappointed that not one person in this state has been willing to walk with us yet. I have been disillusioned with the plans I made for this trip that have not as of yet come to fruition.

I disregarded the fact that each person I have shared with has passed this information on to someone else. I ignored the fact that KGMI talk news radio in Bellingham did an interview with us on the second day of this walk. I was disappointed that the media here in Washington was not picking up on this as fast as Oregon and California. I looked past what WAS happening so far in the first six days of this trip, and only looked for what wasn't happening.

This morning, a man came over to our table and talked with us. It turned out he was an associate pastor of a large church here in Marysville. He asked about my Bible and why it was so important to me. I told him that I was on a mission. I couldn't go anywhere without if for it was His trip not mine. It was through His urgings that I was being guided to the lives He would touch through me. It was His children I was walking for not just mine. It was His outcome I was walking for not mine.

With those words that God meant for me to hear, I realized that it makes no difference in the grand scheme of things, if future generations remember what I am doing here. What matters is that the present generation knows that God cares enough about them to send as His messenger this imperfect person who forgot that it was not she who was in control, but He.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynn,it's so great that you are blogging through this journey. It helps us stay connected to you. We are praying for you. Remember that the Holy Spirit enables us to do what is beyond our human ability. Hope you are feeling better! -Marlys