What is Faith?

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. ~ Hebrews 11:1

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Here's to You Mrs. Robinson


I was adopted at age two and knew for sure my daddy was going to wait for me to grow up so I could marry him. What I loved most beyond his beautiful smile and belly laugh was his charcoal gray suit and matching Fedora. I love a man in a Fedora.
The elderly couple sitting across from me in Denny's was a sight to behold. He was in a chocolate brown pinstripe suit with matching Fedora. She was dressed in a cream colored suit and matching felt hat covered in satin flowers and pearls.
I don't know why, but I watched them for a while. She was quite demure, prim and proper. Her moves were dainty, refined and pure. He sat, sipping quietly at his coffee, gazing at this woman he was so obviously in love with.
When the waiter brought their bill, I knew I had to say something. I went to their table, smiled and told them what a beautiful couple they were. She beamed. He smiled and took my hand.
"Do you know the Lord," he asked?
"I do."
"I knew it!" He shouted and slapped his open palm on the table. "I knew it." He held my hand for a moment or two longer. "Now, what are you going to sing for me?"
"I'm sorry?"
"You said you know the Lord, now I want you to show me how much."
Well, for those of you who know me, I am a bit of a ham and love to sing. Especially praise songs. I'm not necessarily very good, but I love it. It was an unusual request but I complied. There in the middle of Denny's in Oakland California, I belted out "Precious Lord."
"Hot dog," he shouted. "I knew it. I knew you were a believer. Every been to Arizona?"
"Yes Sir I have."
"I was born there. Moved here, with my mama and daddy when I was a baby. Haven't ever been back. Tell me all about will you? I want to know what it's like."
"Well, I guess it depends on what part of Arizona you're from. It ranges from desert to mountains, to forest."
Slapping his hand on the table again, he says, "I knew it. Well, it doesn't matter. I'll see it when I get to heaven. What's your name?"
"Lynn McPherson"
"I am Pastor Robert Robinson. I have been a pastor for more than 60 years. This is my beautiful bride of 64 years."
I take her hand and the gentleness of her spirit touches my heart instantly. "It's so nice to meet you."
"It's a pleasure to meet you Sister."
"Mrs. Robinson," he addressed his wife. "What's the name of that song I love so much?"
Without hesitation, she replied with a smile. "Till we meet at the feet of Jesus."
"Sing it Mrs. Robinson."
She didn't belt it out like I did, but sing she did and it was obvious that well used voice was worn out singing praise to the Lord she and her husband so obviously loved. The sound was sweet, mellow and although raspy with age, was spot on in tune.
"Well Lynn McPherson," Pastor Robinson takes both of my hands. "The Lord is telling me you are to keep on doing what you are doing. He says you are doing his work and He wants you to keep on going."
I was astounded to hear these words from a total stranger. There was no way he could have possibly known what I was doing nor that I had been struggling as to whether or not to continue after this initial walk. But as he saw the doubt he gave my hands a little squeeze.
"You follow Him and He'll lead you right." He winks, lets go of my hand helps his lovely bride to her feet. As if rehearsed, together, they leave singing.
Through the storm, through the night,
lead me on to the light
take my hand precious lord,
and lead me home.

No comments: