What is Faith?

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. ~ Hebrews 11:1

Thursday, February 11, 2010

With Honors

Mark 6: 1-6
A Prophet Without Honor

Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed.

"Where did this man get these things?" they asked. "What is this wisdom that has been given him that he even does miracles?! Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him.

Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown, among his relatives and in his own house is a prophet without honor." He could not do any miracles there, except lay hands on a few sick people and heal them. And he was amazed at their lack of faith.


The people of Nazareth had known Jesus since he was a small boy and they did not want to admit he had grown up to be someone special.

I'm not comparing myself to Christ. I am not God, nor do I have the power to save the world, but I can be the change I want to see in the world.

I knew that some of my friends would think I was a little off my rocker when I finally told them that I was going to be walking 1863 miles. The friends that I have only known for a short while are excited for this trip. They know that I have had this almost obsessive heart for the homeless and they are behind me 100%. They only questions they have asked of me have been "How long do you think it will take" and, "How can I help?"

It's the friends that have known me for years that asked the wounding questions.

"Isn't this a little extreme?"
"Aren't you going a little overboard?"
"And where are you going to get the money for this?"
"Why you?"

Isn't this a little extreme?
1,470,000 homeless people are African Americans
1,365,000 homeless people are white
455,000 homeless people are Hispanic
140,000 homeless people are Native Americans
70,000 homeless people are Asian
1,365,000 homeless people are under the age of 18.
40% of the male homeless population once proudly served in a military uniform. Tonight, those that once were our heroes will sleep in alleys, abandoned buildings and under bridges because they have no home.

Yes it is a little extreme. With more than 3,500,000 million Americans homeless in any given year, it has to be extreme. .

Aren't you going a little overboard?
Am I? Did you read my last blog? Oskar Schindler gave away millions of dollars to help 1200 Jews. Do you think the families of those Jews he saved thought he went overboard?

Mother Teresa gave up a life of wealth to save thousands starving in India. Do you think those lives she saved thought she went overboard?

What about Harriet Tubman? Do you think the 70 slaves she freed through the efforts of her underground railroad, and the descendants of those slaves thought she went overboard?

What about all of the police officers and firefighters that died in the tragedy of 9/11? Did they go overboard?

I only know that God is asking me to trust him and step out of the boat. If I go overboard and sink I will do it knowing I died trying to do the right thing.

Where are you going to get the money to do this?
I haven't a clue. There are three of us going on this trip with me being the only one walking. Will we camp every night? Sleep in the van that will be following me? Will we stay in hotels? I haven't a clue. But I trust that God will provide the funding.

Why You?

I can't answer that. Why did god choose Noah? Why did he choose David? Why Moses? Why President Obama? The list goes on and the answer will always be the same. I won't know until I die. All I know is that I have to do this.

Perhaps this will give you a better idea.

In Germany, they first came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me,
and by that time, no one was left to speak.

http://www.change-for-life.org/



No comments: